- Defining the most valuable features needed for an effective system or solution, cutting scope and reducing the risk of project failure
- Increasing internal and external customer experiences
- Increasing internal business stakeholder satisfaction with solutions
- Move business analyst (BA) resources between projects efficiently
- Deliver consistent business analysis deliverables to development and test teams
BAs not only must provide expertise in their traditional tasks (eliciting, modeling, and writing, requirements), they ensure that the business needs are understood and that IT can successfully implement solutions.
Onramping and training BAs is no longer limited to basic business analysis skills; BAs need soft skills. They need mature skills in: communication, leadership, conflict resolution, negotiation, prioritization, critical thinking, and abstraction and decomposition.
Creating a BA Center of Excellence (BA COE – sometimes known as a Requirements COE) is a proven method for effectively maturing BA competency and effectiveness in a BA team. A BA COE provides a platform for assessing BA skills and maturing BA skills, implementing consistent methods, utilizing tools, and ensuring metrics are used to continuously iterate on the COE implementation. Further, BA COEs enable businesses to better align BA efforts with business strategy.
BA COE creation is iterative; the stages of creation build upon each other. For a mini-poster detailing all the stages of creation and the people, processes, and tools involved, download here: Business Analyst Center of Excellence Mini-Poster